Monday, July 25, 2022

UFO Blog Hop


 Joan from Moose Stash Quilting is hosting this months blog hop and oh my do I have some UFO's. I only looked in the quilt tops that are sitting waiting patiently and theres a numerous amount. Why is this you may ask? I love to patchwork but the quilting part is a challenge for me, I love doing binding it's just that bit before the binding. There is a pattern here. I bought a small quilting frame last year and I have had it assembled twice. last year I did 2 quilt tops on it and decided I need a machine with a bigger throat than my little Brother. Also I'm not good at it and I know that practice will help me get better I just don't like the look of my quilting most of the time.

So when this blog hop got closer I assembled the frame again made it as big as it will go , because there are some wide quilts to be done, and put my big machine on the carriage and the thread kept breaking. I realised the machine was on a tilt so I put a wooden cutting board under it to balance and make it straight, it still kept breaking thread and the carrriage wouldn't move nicely. Big machine is too heavy so it went back to the sewing room and the little machine hopped on. 

Now to the quilt tops and backing! 










All the backings are there some are patched some are just fabric joined and a couple are widebacks bought especially for the quilt it will go on.
Quilts are 
1/ A table runner made for christmas 2017
2/ a mystery quilt from Australian Quilting and Patchwork magazine circa 2005?
3&4/ Square in a square, I started making these and went a bit overboard so there was enough for 2 lap quilts.
5/ ugly fabric tumbler quilt. I cut tumblers from a die cut machine using fabric that I wouldn't use for anything else, this quilt is huge which is why it hasn't been quilted.
6/ something windmills from a bee swap maybe around 2015
7/ Fuzzy blocks another bee swap 2019
8/ Bee swap 2019
9/ Fusion quilt by Gnomeangel 2019 block a day for 100 days sew a long.
10/ Stash busting quilt 2019
11/ Tula pink Kingfisher quilt 2019
12/ Whirligig quilt 2021
13/
 6" sampler quilt 2021
14/ Mystery quilt by gumtree cottage 2021
15/ Disappearing 9 patch 2022
16/ Mirage Quilt 2022
So with the mishaps of the last 2 weeks I have quilted the 2 square in a square quilts and happy to have got them done I am ready to load another quilt onto the frame after lunch.
Go and have a look at  what the others in todays hop have done
Thanks for stopping by

24 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Lianne, I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions, but I will just be the first to offer some tips. LOL You have quite a few beautiful tops waiting to be quilted. I tried the frame thing with my domestic but I couldn't get satisfied with it. I think that was the worst quilting ever. I quilted on my regular brother before I got the deeper throat. That really does help. I would like to suggest Christa Watson's videos and even her books because she still does everything on her domestic and you can do anything she does. You can at least do straight line quilting with or without a walking foot. I do better without mine. LOL Straight line quilting is rather boring while you are doing it but it gives a great finish. The more the better but you don't have to do a lot. I really want to encourage you that you just need to keep at it. Angela Walters also shows quilting on a domestic machine but I think that is too much until you get real confident with your maneuvering your quilt. I hope I encouraged you to finish those beautiful quilts!

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing all your projects and good for you for getting the 2 quilted. I know, it takes practice and patience, but anyone who sees your finished quilts will think they are wonderful. (Even the "ugly" tumbler quilt will be loved by someone!)

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Wow amazing! Everything looks wonderful.

Rebecca Smith said...

Your UFO pile looks like all beautiful projects waiting to be finished. Good luck!

Vicki in MN said...

Good for you getting out your frame and managed to get 2 tops quilted! Hang in there and whip up some more. I started out with a table top frame on a juki machine, so I know what you are feeling, it's a way to get them done! I since moved up to a mid arm Nolting machine/frame.

Calicojoan said...

Oh Lianne, you make me laugh. Your pile, looks much like mine here, but your descriptions cracked me up. Ugly fabric tumbler quilt...something windmills. Yep, we all have those in our piles of UFO's. I'm glad you got your quilt frame out and your thread issues resolved. Patience paid off for you! You have some beauties ready to be quilted!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

So many great looking projects. Slowly but surely they will get finished.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful projects you are working on. Good luck on getting your machine to cooperate to quilt them!

Carol Swift said...

The quilting part was a stopper for me, too. I either had to send them out which meant $$$$ or do them at my regular machine. It looks like you found a good solution and can hopefully finish all of those beauties. Congratulations on completing two of them!

loulee said...

Suddenly I feel a bit better about my pile of tops awaiting quilting.
Like you I was not best of friends with my quilting frame and would love a larger machine with a much largest throat, but I have had to make do. That said, earlier this year something clicked and I began to enjoy the experience, which helped me to relax and suddenly things are much better. Stick with it, you'll get there. And please do share all your progress.

Quilting Gail said...

Lots of projects! But to have 2 done - that's a great accomplishment! Thanks for sharing!
quiltinggail

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lianne! What a pretty name. You know, I have a stack of unquilted tops as well. Some are even layered!! There's no excuse for me to not have them finished other than they're not. Nice job unearthing your UFOs and making a list of them. Great job getting two to the binding stage. That's my favorite - putting a nice period on the whole project. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Carla said...

2 done! That is a great accomplishment! Congratulations!

Leah said...

So many beautiful quilts! Nice to have two finished. The more you quilt the better you will get and when you go back and look at them later they won't be as bad as you first thought. I have done that my self. Sometimes I think the quilting could have been better, but almost every time I pull them out later to look at I notice they really aren't as bad as I made them out to be right after I took them off the machine. I quilted all mine for years on a domestic machine. I even did king size quilts on a regular machine, so it can be done. I have only recently been using a long arm and that was because I was tired of laying on the floor to baste my quilts. lol! Some of my favorite quilting was done on my domestic machine.

Danice G said...

I have always quilted on my regular sewing machine, but hoping one day to own a machine with a deeper harp. All of your quilts look super pretty.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

So many great quilts. I didn't know you'd finished your Kingfisher quilt. Looking forward to seeing your quilty progress.

Inflorescencedesigns said...

So many wonderful quilts. Congrats on getting 2 finished. Thanks for sharing.

time4stitchn said...

I would think quilting on a frame is easier than just on the bed of a sewing machine. But I don't know. I understand how frustrating it must have been to try and try and try only to break threads. ( I attempted applique with a monofilament thread lately only to have it not only break threads but bend the needle into a "U" shape.) So good for you to stay with it and get 2 tops done. Hopefully you can stay on a role and get more things accomplished. It is such a good feeling. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

beaquilter said...

sorry you're having trouble with your machine and threads, try changing threads? changing the bobbin, slowing down/speeding up? re-threading machine. Figure out if it happens going back and forth or side to side then see if there's something in the way? It's always frustrating with stuff like this.

lynn said...

You have made some accomplishment Liane. That is the right road .Congrats.

tink's mom said...

Great start. If you don't start somewhere you get nothing done. This hop is a great push for us all.

Beth Strand said...

Congrats on getting two quilted! I'll echo a previous comment, I quilted everything on my domestic machine for years before getting a long arm (think 30 years.) You might prefer it to the frame!

Carol Andrews said...

Sew many beautiful quilt tops for you to practise on. That’s all it takes! I find that even on my longarm I often start getting a lot of thread breaks if I’m moving left (I had shoulder surgery so my right shoulder doesn’t move as smoothly and I think it works at a different angle or pressure than my left) or if my thread choice isn’t the right one for the quilt top, batting, backing combination. On both my longarm and dsm I make up a trial block/sandwich and try doing lines and circles going both left and right. Then it gives me an idea of whether or not to try a different thread.

Raewyn said...

Lianne, top marks for persistence, I hope you'll be able to make your system work for you. I guess understanding how it works will get easier with practise. You have a lovely assortment of quilt tops and UFOs there waiting for attention - good luck!!!

More for March

  I have no idea what I'm doing here sometimes, I wrote a blog post yesterday and it posted on Chookys scrub stitchin blog, so I will tr...