Wednesday, July 28, 2021

It's A Guy Thing Blog Hop


It's A Guy Thing

When Carol from Just Let Me Quilt announced this theme I knew what I was going to make. My husband doesn't ask me to sew many things for him, well there's always a hem when he get new jeans or trousers and the more than occasional button to replace and then there's patches on work clothes oh and machine embroidering his work logo on the employees shirts, but previously the only thing that he specifically asked for was a wind sail years ago make from ripstop nylon to slow the drag of the boat in a strong current or in the wind. I made said wind sail and it worked really well until that time when husband didn't pull in the wind sail and it got chewed up by the prop but it got fixed. 

So when we were travelling quite a bit over the last year to find our new home we would pack the car with just an overnight bag for clothes but then all the other bags came along on the back seat, within my arms reach for most of them. There is the lolly bag because we all know lollies or snacks are needed on a road trip, there was the just in case bag with the toilet roll and the last minute things that get packed(the books, the phone charger etc) There was the coffee and drink bottle bag, there was the sandwich and biscuits bag, ( we tried to cut down on stops and on sweets by having savoury biscuits and sandwiches pre-made) and there was the coffee machine bag. Yes we take our coffee machine everywhere with us, we like our machines coffee and most motels have horrible instant sachets so we take our own. The problem with the coffee machine bag it was a re-useable supermarket bag and people with big hands can't slide the machine into the bag successfully that is why he asked for a new bag.

I knew what I wanted to make it's the Honeymoon suitcase from Sara Lawson's Big City Bags book. I would change a few of the bits if I made another one and I wish I had quilted the main pieces a bit. I may have complained a bit about the bulk when sewing the lining to the main bag and the piping, I love the look of piping but it can get very bulky.








I am very happy with the end result





July 26

 Creatin' in the Sticks

Storied Quilts

Quilted Delights

Samelia's Mum

Vroomans Quilts

Karen's Korner

 July 27

 MooseStashQuilting

Inflorescence

Becky’s Adventures in Quilting and Travel

Websterquilt

Words & Stitches

Days Filled With Joy

July 28

 Ms P Designs USA

Beaquilter

Lianne Makes Stuff

For The Love Of Geese

Domestic Felicity

 July 29

 Scrapdash

That Fabric Feeling

Elizabeth Coughlin Designs

Quilt Schmilt

The Colorful Fabriholic

Songbird Designs

 July 30

 Just Let Me Quilt

Quilt Fabrication

Kathy's Kwilts and More

Patchouli Moon Studio

Food for Thought

33 comments:

Rebecca Smith said...

I love the coffee fabric for your coffee machine!

Inflorescencedesigns said...

Such a clever idea! Thanks for sharing.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

What a great idea, Lianne! We always take our coffee machine with us when we travel too - usually in a fabric grocery bag, but I love how you made your bag and may just need to make us one! And of course, we have a lolly bag as well! Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Great idea, and it came out beautifully!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Perfect fabric for your coffee machine bag.

For the love of geese said...

Nice bag. Those heavy seams can be a pain in the butt but it looks like you conquered it.

Calicojoan said...

Oh my goodness, I am in love with that bag. And the fabric you choose is right up my coffee loving alley! I"m so excited to see you have joined in our our hops!

Carol Swift said...

I love the fabrics in your bag and it looks so beautiful with the piping. What a great "guy" project! Motel coffee machines are never as good as the one at home, so that bag is perfect for a take along. I'm so glad you shared your "guy" thing with us!

Karen's Korner said...

What a lovely personalised bag and you will know exactly what is inside by the fabric. Nice work.

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thanks Rebecca it was the perfect fabric for this one

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thank you

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thank you so much

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thank you so much Elizabeth

Lianne makes stuff said...

It is isn't it? Thank you

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thanks I am very stubborn

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thanks so much

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thanks o much Carol I wouldn't have made it so soon if you hadn't run this hop

Carla said...

I love it when a blog hop's timing is perfect for a project. Such a nifty idea and the fabric is perfect.

Lori Smanski said...

what a great idea. this turned out very nice. hope you get lots of use from it.

Lianne makes stuff said...

I do too we just have to be able to travel again

Material Girl said...

I carry our coffee pot,etc when we travel too. There’s also at least that other bag with the chargers and iPads, etc….I guess great minds think alike!

Brandy said...

I also tend to pack food and drink in the attempt to not spend as much while traveling, but I haven't made dedicated bags for them. That would make a lot of sense to have! Thank you for the inspiration!

LJ said...

LOL "last minute things to pack" - that's the best. You found some great fabric to use on the bag for this hop. Excellent.

Carol Andrews said...

I love your coffee bag idea. Now I need to make one for DH’s blender for his morning smoothie. It’s always the one thing he misses when we travel. Thank you for the inspiration since we might eventually get to travel again. 😉

Lianne makes stuff said...

hah I still need to make a pouch for the coffee pods

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thanks and now you know what you need to make

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thanks and I cannot tell you how long I have had those fabrics, no idea

Lianne makes stuff said...

A smoothie bag would be great

tink's mom said...

Whoa, what a great idea. I appreciate the picture with the machine in the bag to see the easy of access. Great job.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

What a great idea!! You did a fantastic job.. xx

Leah said...

What a clever idea. That is how we are too when we travel. Everything in a bag. Makes it so convenient for getting what you need quick.

Lianne makes stuff said...

Thank you Joy

Lianne makes stuff said...

Yes it is easier with bags but there can be too many

More for March

  I have no idea what I'm doing here sometimes, I wrote a blog post yesterday and it posted on Chookys scrub stitchin blog, so I will tr...